Hardwood Care & Maintenance
Caring for hardwood flooring products
Get up to $500 off your next flooring purchase >
Routine Hardwood Floor Cleaning
- Sweep, dust mop or vacuum regularly. When using a vacuum cleaner, disengage the beater bar or use the “bare floor” setting to avoid damaging your floor. The vacuum head must be brush or felt, and a wand attachment is preferable. Use suction and turn off the beater bar if possible.
- Clean your hardwood floor occasionally using a mop with a microfiber or terry cloth cover and manufacturer recommended cleaning product. Never mop with water. Go to your local hardware store for Bona hardwood cleaning products, or manufacturer specific cleaners.
Tips for Protecting Your Hardwood Floors
- Wipe up spills immediately, use a terry cloth to clean to absorb up the liquid quickly.
- Inside entry ways, place a mat on the floor to have extra protection against dirt and moisture.
- Use area rugs in front of kitchen sinks and within high traffic areas. Rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment — and rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings are not recommended.
- Keep your pet's nails trimmed to minimize finish scratches, not all hardwood floors engineered wear layers.
- Use floor protectors on furniture to reduce indentation. The heavier the item, the wider the floor protector needed.
- Protect your floor from direct sunlight, as overtime the sunlight and change the color of your hardwood floor.
- Be cautious of what type of footwear you are using on your floors. Cleats, spikes, rollerblades, high heals could all scuff and over time ruin the floor. Remove footwear at the door to avoid potentially dragging in sharp objects that may be stuck in your shoe treads.
- DON’T use any of the following products (or products similar in nature) on your floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, solvent-based polishes, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic substances such as vinegar. Only use a designated hardwood floor cleaner, see your manufactures specifications for more information.